Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max for Live, reading the settings
TL;DR: on my NDLR, running 1.1.071, CCs15, 16 and 17 are not working as documented in the Beta firmware forum. Setting CC15 to 1 or 2 results in no output on any Port when CC17,99 is sent. Sending CC15,3 results in output, but on Port 1. CC15, 4 results in output on Port 2.

CC15 is documented as using 1-6 to represent the Port (which perplexes me a little, given the 4 Ports the NDLR is equipped with). :

Quote:Added:
      Three new CCs...
            CC 15 = set status Port (1-6) - MIDI port used to "send all" CC statuses 
            CC 16 = set status Channel (1-16) - MIDI channel used to "send all" CC statuses
            CC 17 = get status (99) - request for NDLR to "send all" CC statuses
            Note: CC 15 & 16 must be correctly set before CC 17 (99) will work

So then I tried CC 15 5. It results in output on Port 3. I was having so much fun at this point, I tried CC15 6 and it gave results on Port 4. In summary of the summary:

CC 15 1 -> NO OUTPUT
CC 15 2 -> NO OUTPUT
CC 15 3 -> OUTPUT ON PORT 1
CC 15 4 -> OUTPUT ON PORT 2
CC 15 5 -> OUTPUT ON PORT 3
CC 15 6 -> OUTPUT ON PORT 4

Is this the behaviour others see, or do I need to "fix" my NDLR/Ableton setup?

If this is the behaviour, should it be? It seems counterintuitive.

If it is the desired behaviour, should the docs be tweaked?

So here's my extremely noddy Max for Live device that sends the CCs. I use channel 15 for my NDLR Cntl (hence the CC16 15 call). You just press the buttons (one of the 15 set, then 16, then 17) and watch MIDI monitor (watching All Ins, All Channels). Ignore the midiparse/print path - it's for processing the CCs when I finally get a firm handle on how the CC15 works/is supposed to work. The destination for all my outgoing CCs (ie Ableton's MIDI To, in the track settings) was "NDLR (Port 1)", "Ch. 15". Changing the outgoing Port number had no effect on the results. Button 0, sending 15 0, was just for giggles. It returned results on Port 3, because 2020, I guess.

[Image: test_cc.png]

I can generate MIDI logs if wished. For 15,1 and 15,2 you just see the outgoing CCs15, 16, 17. For 3,4,5,6 you see returning CCs on Channel 15 of Ports 1,2,3,4 respectively.

I've attached the Max for Live MIDI Effect device. NOTE: I renamed it to a .txt file to fool the forum's upload rules, so sue me. More usefully, remove the ".txt" association and change the "_" underscore to a period ".". You should have a file called "NDLR CC Reader copy.amxd" at the end of that, which you can open in Max for Live. I make no warranties about the file, and take no responsibilities etc. etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: don't download this version, download v2 later in this thread. It's much better, honest

Attached Files
.txt   NDLR CC Reader copy_amxd.txt (Size: 15.92 KB / Downloads: 2)

Messages In This Thread
Max for Live, reading the settings - by robrain - 11-26-2020, 04:16 AM
RE: Max for Live, reading the settings - by robrain - 11-28-2020, 10:11 AM