Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR internal clock vs CTRL cc #72
" When a clock is set to internal, then the clock remains internally set regardless of the midi cc."

I guess I'm still missing the point, but I am trying to understand and help. If the CC# you're sending is to specifically control the tempo of the internal clock, why should it be ignored? Just don't send any CC#72 instructions.

Now, let me see if I understand your issue presented in the first post. You've got two NDLRs, you're sending them both identical strings of CC# commands, you desire them to operate differently. Obviously that can't happen if you control them identically. But, you want one to run at half the tempo of the other. Presumably you desire to change the tempo at some point of your song, as you've sent CC#72. But, you want the same data sent to the two NDLRs to be interpreted differently. I believe I can suggest two methods to accomplish this for you:

1. First method is called the Brute Force Method. Create a track on, say, CH15 which has all the CC# you want to control all aspects of the two NDLRs, including any tempo changes. Copy this track to, say, CH16. Keep all the CC# data the same EXCEPT change the data for CC#72. Change its value to a half of the other one. Set NDLR 'A' to use CH15 as control and NDLR 'B' to use CH16 for its control channel. Route the Octatrack to both NDLR 'A' & 'B.' Now they both behave the same, but one has its internal tempo set to half of the other's.

2. Second method is called the Clever Method. The Brute Force Method is clunky and needlessly doubles up MIDI CC# data. In this method, again make a channel, say CH15, have all the various CC# data to control all aspects of both NDLRs. But, whenever you have a CC#72 to modify the internal clock's tempo, write a CC#72 with half the value on say, CH16 at a slightly later point in time. Have both NDLR 'A' & 'B' set to receive control on CH15. Then, do all the necessary magic in your router. Have the router configured to send the same copy of the Octatrack's MIDI out to both NDLR 'A' & 'B' MIDI-A input. Have the router setup to bump the CH16 data down to CH15, and have this new stream sent to NDLR 'B' MIDI-B input. Now both NDLRs work the same because the both listening to the same commands. If you change tempos, they both initially go to the same value, but the second one gets immediately changed to a tempo half of the first.

What could be simpler?

HdK

Messages In This Thread
RE: NDLR internal clock vs CTRL cc #72 - by House de Kris - 03-15-2021, 07:58 PM