Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain rotation algorithm (pls?)
(03-19-2021, 05:59 AM)uncleage Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 04:16 AM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote: the nice thing about the rotation sequencer is you control the velocity and rests and ties there. <snip>
I am lost just like Hoogerj.  Where is the rotation sequencer?  Is there any more information regarding the discussion of this added feature?  Anything that would point me in the right direction would be helpful. 

Thanks
Shift+menu encoder 6 to access the window.

page 49 in the manual helps but its important to comprehend what it is.

its a radial layout of the sequence.

its primary function is to adjust velocity, rest, and TIE...with the first (velocity being 0-127) and rest and TIE being on/off.

the real nice aspect of this window is that it gives the user access to pattern, playback direction, clock division, and length.

what is quixotic in a really good organic way is that the Pattern and the Rhythm do not necessarily have to work together...so these lines can be of different lengths...and the midi cc assignment is 38 for pattern and 42 for the rhythm...so what is so "clutch" about this?

I can dial in, improvise, canoodle, you name it...a melody and I can then recall presets phrases/motifs of rhythmic patterns which keeps the timbre but changes the dynamics...or vice versa keep the dynamics and change the timbre.

in this window the most important knobs(4 and 6) for establishing control over the rhythmic dynamics are the lower two knobs.

the left hand one with cycle around and select which beat while the right one sets the value from 0-127+rest+TIE.

let me know if that helps.

while it would be even moar CLUTCH would be to separate the clock division attribute of the rhythm editor from the clock division attribute of the pattern editor...that may not be available at the current incarnation of this sequencer due to a variety of factors.

also when we make edits to interiors of these menus its meant to be strictly mano y mano(hand to hand)...which makes sense because somethings you just cannot automate with midi cc.

that being said...as I glance over the midi spec(again)

the only thing stopping a user from doing some intense improv lines is the stability aspects of the sequencer. why? because play direction and clock division, motif accent, rhythm etc. can be coordinated all of or by part via midi cc, while the user noodles the rest.

is it a perfect solution?

No. there are significant limitations...like probability is extremely limited...and a hard line of clock divisions was laid out...but there are work arounds for that.

So its not a perfect solution.

It's a progressive one that gives you the ability to adlib melodic ideas that fit into a harmonic framework.

hopefully that helps.

Messages In This Thread
Explain rotation algorithm (pls?) - by Hoogerj - 03-17-2021, 01:57 PM
RE: Explain rotation algorithm (pls?) - by Ghostz_of_Moar - 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM