Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a more detailed explanation of using the MRCC with a DAW (Logic)?
I will give you a quick outline of how I would set it up if it was me, and if that works for you, great, if more investigation is needed, then we can set up a call.

The first thing is that any connection to the DAW can be done over USB via the PC port, and it's important to know the USB C port is strictly for power, and passes no data. Probably not the issue here, but worth mentioning just in case. If you have another MIDI interface you can feel free to connect the DAW via the DIN cable instead, but that isn't the usual use case since it requires 2 cables (in and out).

So if we proceed with the PC port connection, the next part would be to open the DAW (*preferences menu) and select at least one port for input and one for output. I have less than 16 synths so I would just set up one port to be output, lets say Port 1 (*in and) out. Now in my DAW track setup I will select the output port I want, as well as the input port, and a channel that coincides with the listening channel of a synth I am routing to, let's say 4.

Next I can write some MIDI data in the track and when I play, it should now be sending the MIDI out PC port 1 channel 4. So now in the MRCC, we select the PC port Blue button, (the routing selection defaults to Port 1, so no need to change it here, however if we were using port two, we would need to press and hold the blue (*PC port) button and select output 2 while it's lit blue). Once we've selected PC port 1, we select the output. To do this we are simply going to press any output port buttons that we want the output to get routed to. In my case I have my CH4 synth on port 4, so I will press port 4 out's button, and it will light up.

Please note that I wasn't holding the PC button while selecting the output port, that step is only when selecting outputs which are going out to the PC, so if I wanted to send the DAW MIDI back out to another Application, I could send PC1 out back to, say PC 3 in, by selecting PC output 1, then pressing and holding the green PC button and selecting PC 3 by pressing the now lit up Port 3 output button.

So now I should have Port 1 out on the MRCC PC port routed to output port 4, and channel 4 should be being sent from the DAW to this port.

OK, now lets say I have 10 synths and they're set up on ports 1 - 8 and channels 1-10 with channels 1-8 all on ports 1-8 and channel 9 and 10 being passed via MIDI thru on the synths on ports 7 and 8. So all I need to do to continue this routing, since port 1 is still selected is to press ports 1-3, and 5-8 to copy the output from PC port 1 to all these ports. Then in the DAW I can make 9 copies of the MIDI track I have (transmitting to port 1 on ch 4) and change the channel to 1-3 and 5-10 and they'll all stay on port 1.

Now this only works if we have each device listening on only 1 channel, but sometimes you can't do that, so in that case we can send the output for that device on a separate output port (let's say PC port 2 out) and only send that port to the device in question, so it doesn't hear 9 other channels worth of MIDI notes.

So that's the basic idea, if that's what you're already trying and it's not working for you, please feel free to let me know and I am happy to set up that meeting to troubleshoot.

All the best,

Jesse Johannesen

*=edits

Messages In This Thread
RE: I need a more detailed explanation of using the MRCC with a DAW (Logic)? - by Jesse Johannesen - 11-08-2022, 04:15 PM