Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Someone Give me Advice on MIDI Controller Setup for Live Performances?
Can you say more about what hardware you use. I guess you have a NDLR :-) What synths are you using? Like, if you have an MPC I think the recommendations would be a lot different than if you are using some rack synths, or soft synths. Sounds like you plan to have a computer in the setup? What kind?

I have no experience on stage with MIDI gear, but my friends that do have experience just keep it as simple as possible. If you can set it up in your studio and use it daily before any live gigs that would give you a chance to see that everything is solid, that you aren't getting stuck notes or something. Then replicate that exactly on stage; no last minute changes.

If you require changing MIDI routing during a performance, the MRCC MIDI routers let you make changes really fast. You can make presets and change them on the fly, or just use the routing buttons to re-route something if you only have to do it between songs. With the MRCC - MIDI Router Control Center (not the MRCC 880), you can change presets using Program Change MIDI messages. Both MRCC and MRCC 880 have MIDI Panic functions to shut off all notes. If using the NDLR, there's a panic button on there too.

Jesse mentioned on that other thread that if you have an Arturia Keystep, it is super quick to change MIDI channels if you need to. But if your setup is complex and requires automation, such as changing MIDI routings, automating preset changes on the synths using Program Change, things like that, you would need some software for that. You might be able to use your DAW of choice, or something dedicated to MIDI automation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could Someone Give me Advice on MIDI Controller Setup for Live Performances? - by Darryl - 06-21-2024, 10:31 AM