Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting - 2 MRCCs, midi clock, ?
And I apologize for the negativity of this post. As I mentioned to a friend, i wouldn't hate the MRCC so much, if i didn't love it so much. I have come to rely on it. Most of the time it is just second nature now. But then when there is an issue, there really aren't handy tools to troubleshoot it. I know that I, and others, have asked for, in various contexts - some kind of way to run a computer application and look at connections - in this particular case, i would want to get some clue as to what is failing and why.

Of course, when troubleshooting, one has to consider what was working 'yesterday' and what one has changed since then.

In this case, being reticent to spend more than the couple of hours i've already spent tonight, I have reached some tentative conclusions that i realize may be a misinterpretation or oversimplification of the symptoms.

I have 2 mrccs. They generally work great together. But what is happening tonight is that (forgive me if i forget the name of the mode) - the mode where you can see the outputs of the other mrcc, and then connect and disconnect them, becomes totally unresponsive. This (which i guess makes sense) seems to happen simultaneously on both of them Tonight, i am having to reboot the computer and also the mrccs (might be doing more than necessary here, but this is gentler than throwing the mrccs out the window. And i'm not endangering lives)

this was not happening yesterday. What did i change? The first of the changes doesn't seem to be the issue - i plugged in another usb device. But unplugging it had no affect on the issue at all.

the other was that I connected a clock device (S.N.D Acme 4) via a din connection. Everything seemed to work great, and still did when I sent clocks to a din connected sequencer on the other mrcc. Beautiful. But things started going astray (in retrospect) when I sent the clocks to a sequencer connected on the usb port of the other mrcc. Maybe just coincidence, but i have repeated that things crash when i send it clock, but then when i do not, no problem. I suppose that the solution is obvious (unless of course this is a mistaken diagnosis). The usb device, which until just now has worked great on the mrcc, is the Hapax sequencer.

I suppose that the general question is - have there been any issues with sending midi clock to a usb device on another mrcc?

Does this diagnosis make sense? I know that there are issues with how much power usb devices can take on a given mrcc, but in this case the thing has worked just great until now. And there is only one other usb device hooked up to that mrcc.

but yeah - the symptoms - the sync stops working, the interconnectivity mode stops working (neither mrcc seems to see the other) and the damn things then don't even fully reboot.

thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Troubleshooting - 2 MRCCs, midi clock, ? - by Nelson Baboon - 01-03-2023, 09:23 PM