Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB sysex issues
I'm on the 71 firmware now and have just managed to send and receive the sysex memory contents of my Octopus sequencer through the MRCC, I'm actually giddy with excitement, so thanks for fixing that, it's a game changer for me.
(05-31-2023, 12:03 PM)Stratblue Wrote: I'm on the 71 firmware now and have just managed to send and receive the sysex memory contents of my Octopus sequencer through the MRCC, I'm actually giddy with excitement, so thanks for fixing that, it's a game changer for me.

Excellent! Thank you!
I've just installed the 73 firmware and can confirm that remote control of my Kurzweil KSP8 works well now. It was choking on earlier versions.

The KSP8 remote control software and plugin requires screen dumps so are reasonable sized sysex dumps.

Thanks for the update.
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
I'm on the 73 firmware and I'm getting total lock ups quite often when I send short sysex messages.
(05-31-2023, 05:37 PM)Darryl Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 12:03 PM)Stratblue Wrote: I'm on the 71 firmware now and have just managed to send and receive the sysex memory contents of my Octopus sequencer through the MRCC, I'm actually giddy with excitement, so thanks for fixing that, it's a game changer for me.

Excellent! Thank you!

I think I was a bit premature there, it's locking up when I try to send sysex quite often now, any tips?
As far as SYSEX issues go, it is my understanding that we should be able to send and receive on all ports, (I can't remember if it works between the MRCC and Remote 7 expander yet or not,) however to avoid losing data it may be necessary to limit Packet size to 256 bytes and put a  short delay between packets, you may try 60ms and increase that if you still have issues. Not every device has the ability to select this, but if you are using a computer there is probably a tool that will, I know MIDIOx for PC has menus for that, it should be possible to find a tool for the MAC that does as well. A quick google search shows that there is a tool called SYSEX Librarian, that should work. From the documentation:

Transmit Speed
Most MIDI devices can handle sysex messages sent at full speed, but a few older ones have problems keeping up. If your device doesn't work, try turning down the transmit speed a little bit.
Note that you can change the speed on an individual device, if you've set it up in Audio MIDI Setup. This is the recommended way to do it (instead of setting the speed on the whole output port), because SysEx Librarian will use the appropriate speed even if you change which port the device is hooked up to.
Transmit buffer size
This lets you control the way that sysex data is sent to the MIDI interface. Most MIDI interfaces will work fine with the "Default" buffer size.
If you suspect that your sysex data is not being received properly, try decreasing the buffer size to 256 or smaller.

This seems like it should do what you need. 

https://www.snoize.com/sysexlibrarian/docs.html
(07-16-2023, 01:36 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: This seems like it should do what you need. 

https://www.snoize.com/sysexlibrarian/docs.html

Thanks for that, unfortunately I am unable to use that version due to the need for an older OS on the legacy Mac I have. Unfortunately, I've had to revert to the old method of using merges and splitters to bypass the MRCC because it seems to have corrupted somehow the Octopus project I had going, missing pages and other stuff. I haven't had the time to do any tests yet but I suspect that it may be during the Octopus>Sysex Librarian phase, I'll test this soon.

Thanks for your efforts with this.
The sysex I'm sending is 11 hex numbers in total and it's causing the MRCC to lock solid, repeatedly and after restarts, any tips  would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(07-26-2023, 07:03 AM)Stratblue Wrote: The sysex I'm sending is 11 hex numbers in total and it's causing the MRCC to lock solid, repeatedly and after restarts, any tips  would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've done a factory reset and started from the factory 00 patch, the MRCC appears to buffering a whole load of stuff then releasing it in batches, I've been monitoring it with the Midihub.
Wow, not sure where the problem could lie, that seems like it shouldn't be any issue. It's not even a full packet of data. The locking up is usually an indication of a MIDI loop, but without a thorough picture of the routing it's not easy to guess what could be the likely issue. Maybe we need to set up a Zoom call to get into this deeper? Email me at support@conductivelabs.com with some timezone info and your likely availability and we can pin down a time.

Is the Octopus project you mention software? I googled it and I'm getting a band from TX.
(07-26-2023, 12:02 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Wow, not sure where the problem could lie, that seems like it shouldn't be any issue. It's not even a full packet of data. The locking up is usually an indication of a MIDI loop, but without a thorough picture of the routing it's not easy to guess what could be the likely issue. Maybe we need to set up a Zoom call to get into this deeper? Email me at support@conductivelabs.com with some timezone info and your likely availability and we can pin down a time.

Is the Octopus project you mention software? I googled it and I'm getting a band from TX.

I don't think there is a loop. Electra One > MRCC1 > MRCC 4 > V Synth. I checked everything else. This isn't from a save, this is the factory patch and I have made sure the MRCC1 > MRCC1 that is contained in that patch is off.

It behaves ok until I send some sysex and then it just clogs up, the incoming program changes don't even wake the screen from sleep. If take the lead from MRCC in 1 and plug into MRCC in 2 it all works just fine.

I've erased all (GULP!) my patches, done a factory reset and re installed the 73 firmware. It seems like this is just a repeat of the problem you may remember I had a few months ago where port 2 just decided to quit on me. Sent it away, they said it worked and sent it back with a £100 bill and indeed it worked perfectly. You saw the video IIRC.

The Octopus is a Genoqs Octopus sequencer.

I'll email now and set something up with you on zoom.

Thanks.