Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using MRCC Internal Clock causing device to lock up
Had a frustrating afternoon today with the MRCC...

Setup is as follows:

INPUTS:                    OUTPUTS:
----------                    -------------
5  (Korg Trinity)          2 (Behringer 2600) & 4 (Roland JX-3P)
C  (Korg M3 88 Note)  A (Korg M3 61 Note)
                                1 (Roland MC-505)

MRCC Clock output sent to all outputs. No clock out from any of the other devices. 
MRCC arpeggiator sent to output 2. No other routing, modifiers or filtering used.

Everything works great for 15 minutes or so... jamming away and bang! The MRCC stops working causing hanging notes, all controls unresponsive & requiring a restart.

It did this about 6 times before I lost my temper with it. Nothing unusual was happening, just various arp's/Karma modules on my synths all running along nicely then it takes a nose dive randomly. No program changes, no tempo changes or any settings changed on the MRCC whist playing. Just notes and chords being played on ther Trinity and Korg M3 61 Note.

Even stranger is, I went to make coffee with nothing running apart from the MRCC Clock and the MRCC had still locked up when I came back!

I have given up on using the internal clock entirely now as its so unreliable for me and I haven't been able to reproduce the lock up when using an external clock yet. I will post again after more thorough testing using an external clock and see if the same happens.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be too much midi information being generated? (in which case how come it seems to lock up randomly, in the middle of playing a chord or indeed when doing nothing?)
An update after an exhaustive session today...

I thought I'd try the MRCC clock again and checking the midi information being generated by my devices. It still locked up 3 times after 10 or 15 minutes.
Again, just randomly, whether I was tweaking/playing anything or not.

I switched to using an external clock (in this case the MC-505 clock out) and everything ran perfect for 2 sessions over an hour each and another shorter session.
I was using 2 MRCC apreggiators synced to the external clock and tweaking numerous paramters on the synths and changing routing real time on the MRCC and I couldn't get it to trip up at all.

I don't have any idea why these freezes occur, the only thing that might be a factor I suppose, is, I was controlling clock and arpeggiator parameters via external midi. The freezes didn't occur when chaneg these parameters in real time though.

So... no MRCC clock for me Sad

It's a shame though as currently I can't use the analogue clock out from the MRCC although hopefully that will get fixed in an update.
Also, the clock is more useful than one generated by another device with real time control etc.

Apart from that the MRCC performed flawlessly today. I'm glad external clock is working well otherwise I would have had to return the unit, but thankfully don't have to, as I really like the MRCC for dawless performance (I've only tried basic PC connections for now, so will see how well it performs in the daw).