Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC freezes when clock-ing NDLR via USB
Bug 
I have both MRCC and NDLR and am trying to set it up in the most straightforward way:

- Clock is generated by Elektron Analog Rytm connected to MIDI 1 and routed to USB A
- NDLR is plugged into USB A and set up to receive the clock on USB 1

So, the expected chain is
Rytm => MIDI 1 => USB A => NDLR

Unfortunately, as soon as I route my MIDI 1 to USB A - MRCC freezes.

Some observations:
It's not freezing before NDLR is plugged in (or powered up).
It's freezing regardless of whether NDLR is configured to receive the clock over USB or clocked internally.
It works as expected when using MIDI-only to connect NDLR.
When MRCC freezes, NDLR indicates that a Clk signal is still received at 39 bpm over USB-1.
If you disable sending the clock from Rytm when MRCC is frozen, it will unfreeze in ~10 seconds. During that time, NDLR will show that it receives the clock at 39 bpm.

And more details:
NDLR and MRCC are on the latest firmware
I've used the blank presets on MRCC and NDLR to replicate the issue.
The clock from Analog Rytm (or other Elektrons) works well with all other gear. 
Anyway, it freezes even using a clock from MRCC, when routed to USB A.

Assuming that it potentially narrows to loop issues, I've played a bit with settings and boot menu clock options, trying to disable any possible clock messages forwarding\echoing. Did not help (or I didn't find the correct setting\menu).
As the Boot menu is almost not documented in the Manual - it's not clear what it is actually doing

That is such a simple setup that I feel dumb stating that I've spent over 8 hours searching and reading, but here we are.

Surprisingly, there is no tutorial example of how to route the MIDI input to USB-A-D outputs. For the MIDI => PC, there are, but it's not the case.
Also, I'm quite curious: why can we specify which USB ports to route FROM, but we don't specify which of 1-4 ports to route IN when routing from MIDI?

But the main question is, has anyone had the luck to set up MRCC + NDLR to be clocked externally via USB?
Hey Ugentu, we're looking at this issue with you over email, so I'll continue to deal with it there, but from what I am hearing it sounds like an issue we noticed a little bit ago that had to do with USB buffer overrun or something, I believe we managed to solve the issue in a recent fw update. I know you mentioned being up to date, but can you double check and let me know what Version number we're talking about so I can check that off the list?